If you are thinking about having teeth whitening treatment to improve your smile, you need to know that this is not a permanent treatment. However, there are ways that you can prevent the whiteness from fading as quickly.
Teeth whitening needs to be done at your dentist, and many dentists, such as at Ace Dental in Camden offer whitening packages that can be done at home or in the dental clinic. It is illegal for non-dental professionals to do teeth whitening.
The benefits of going with the professionals
Having teeth whitening done at the dentist has several benefits. Firstly, the dentist is qualified to administer this treatment and you can benefit from their years of experience in dealing with oral care. Also, the dentist is able to use more powerful whitening agents than are available for home use. Your gums are protected with a special barrier, and then special trays filled with whitening gel are fitted over your teeth. The gel only becomes active when it is lit by an ultraviolet light. This process, called power whitening, takes about an hour and results in teeth that can be up to several shades lighter.
There are also home whitening kits, which involve using a custom-made tray that fits snugly over your teeth. You take it home, fill it with a whitening gel and wear it either overnight, or for several hours during the day. This gel is much gentler and it will take a couple of weeks of daily whitening for the results to become noticeable.
Make it last
So now you have lovely white teeth, here are some tricks you can employ to extend the period of whiteness:
- Use over-the-counter whitening toothpastes and rinses to get rid of surface stains.
- Eat lots of raw carrots, celery, apples and pears to encourage saliva production to wash away food debris and neutralise the acids that cause decay.
- Don’t smoke. Tobacco is the worst culprit of all when it comes to teeth staining.
- Drink less coffee, black tea, colas and fruit juices, all of which stain teeth.
- Rinse your mouth after drinking red wine, cranberry or grape juice.